Friday, December 12, 2014

Visual Literacy

For our 7th period we did a project called Visual Literacy. Isaac Salazar, a man with no formal art education created a form of book origami. By folding pages of a book he was able to create words and pictures. And that is what we did. We folded pages of a book to create a word. This type of art is an example of Visual literacy because it interprets and makes meaning of an informative image in order to create art.

I chose to do the word Try for my book. For the font I just chose to do Arial and over all I folded 157 pages. The idea behind my book and the word wasn't too big, we were supposed to first do a word that relates to literacy or has a meaning. For some reason the word Try stuck out to me, it may be because whenever we do something we always try, it's just natural, the word itself is natural and so is the action to try. When people see my book I hope it gives them some kind of inspiration to try, no matter if they think they can't do it or don't want to.

I'm very happy with the way my book turned out. I folded it correctly and you can see the word clear. Some pages may be a bit off and I could have folded a bit more pages, like on my T, or folded a bit less, like on my Y. But over all I'm very happy with turn out. If I were to do this project again I might choose to do the word Greed, I think this would be a cool word to do and if I could make it in a book that is relevant to this word.

1 comment:

  1. Great job Sophia! When I see the word "Try" paired with an academic book like the World Book Encyclopedia you folded, it makes me think about "Trying to Learn," since Encyclopedias are filled with factual information. Great choice!

    ReplyDelete

Cute Ghost 5